Sunday, July 08, 2012

It’s Only Seventeen Quadrillion Gallons of Water


From this angle,
even the glittering water
just seems unhinged,
like a serial-killer
who prefers the summer
months, the thrill
of laughter and play
stretched out on the sand,
ah yes, yes, so close-by.

Lace of foam
at the water’s edge?
Hell, no.
Froth at the mouth. Spittle
of excitement. Drool.
The ocean wants to eat me,
process my precious parts,
no compromise, until I am
just an idea. My husband’s
beloved pattern dismantled.

So many shipwrecks,
skeletal slough now part
of the majesty of a whale,
oh poetry! The circle of life!

I should mention
the lifeguards are people
who still have locker
combinations to remember.

Soft-bellied and drowsy
from long vacations,
we wag in the waves,
leap, shine in saltiness
that keeps us thirsty.

Twist deeper,
ah yes, yes,
nevermind
the hiss.

2 comments:

Mike Lindgren said...

Wow! That's a terrific poem! But now I am frightened! - MIKE

Indigo Bunting said...

"process my precious parts"

yum