Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Gold Stars

Remember them? Gummy backed and glimmering, they rested in small boxes the teacher kept in the top middle drawer of her desk. They waited for you to do something good, better, or best. If you were lucky enough to have a box of them of your own for crafts at home, you knew the delicious rustling sound they made as you shuffled them in the box with your fingertips. The sound of success. Books read at the library, a constellation on the summer reading chart for the community to see. Shake the box by your ear. Hear it? The sound of self worth.

2 comments:

Jodi Anderson said...

Oh, no, I suddenly feel a quest coming on as I would really like a box of those gold stars.

It's hard for me to just be satisfied with the memories sometimes, although I do appreciate that you stirred them up in me.

Fran said...

Somewhere in my house there is a vintage box of gold stars. I'm sure they are curled and not so sticky but I'll bet they still make that noise when shaken. I must find them!