Thursday, May 22, 2008

Something Like a Recipe

I enjoy cooking when it's a challenge. Today I decided to see what I could make with ingredients I already had in the pantry. This is what I ended up with - something Mediterranean in spirit, with morels.


Jenny's Thursday Pantry Mashup

Ingredients:

1 clove garlic
splash olive oil
3 chicken thighs
handful of morels
1 can white kidney beans
1 16 oz. can of organic diced tomatoes
handful of fresh spinach leaves
a couple of glugs of red wine
1 cup brown rice

Cooking Instructions:

Warm up olive oil and garlic in large saucepan/pot. Add chicken and a generous glug of red wine. Hum a little! You're on your way to dinner...

Get the brown rice started in a rice cooker.

Let the chicken cook a little on low with the pot covered. Flip it over, tend to its needs. You don't want it to get rubbery or burn, or end up on a therapist's couch calling you names twenty years from now. Add the morels, and a little more wine. Cover again. When the morels are hydrated, take them out and sit aside. Add the tomatoes, spinach. Cover. Let the chicken cook all the way, bubble bubble bubble.



Add the white beans, and return the morels to the mix. Serve over the brown rice. A side salad is a good, greeny pairing. Of course, wine to drink is nice too, if you have any leftover you big lush! Is that you still humming? Yeah, no more wine for you.

3 comments:

Talia Reed said...

My already-have ingredients would be something like mac and cheese, canned pineapples, cream of mushroom soup, and Corn Pops.

Indigo Bunting said...

Oh, so wish I'd had some of that. Did you find the morels yourself? (I mean on the ground, not at the grocery...)

Jenny Hill said...

IB: No, I don't forage for mushrooms. I have a bad memory. That's not good for mushroom foraging. "The one with the spots is poisonous, or no? I can't remember..."

Talia: Ha! Sounds like my pantry sometimes too.