Monday, May 26, 2008


I wrote another short play which I'm going to shuffle into the twelve cards of other short plays I've written recently to see what kind of hand it creates. A winner? A trump? A flush? I fold? Who knows. That's the fun part.

Yesterday, riding my bike home from the grocery I saw gypsy moth caterpillars crossing the tarmac like furry little tour buses. They are pests. I know this well - I've seen bald summers for all their appetites, but I still can't bring myself to push a bike tire over one of them.

Oh, the scents of backyard barbecues this weekend! A waft of toasted marshmallow and grilled hamburger. Laundry on the line, filtering the sunshine. Children laughing. Later, I'll make my grandmother's potato salad, in the same bowl she used for it. The best ever.

2 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

I've never been able to squash a gypsy moth either.

The tradition of the potato salad bowl gets to me in the very best way!

Talia Reed said...

Yes, those bowls. I made some watergate salad today (that Pistachio pudding stuff with whipped cream, pineapples, and marshmallows), and really wished I had my mom's "harvest gold" bowl she's had since her wedding day to offset the puke green color of the fantastic stuff.