Monday, July 05, 2010

500 Words

Can you come up with a list of 500 favorite words? It took me about a half hour to write up a list (which I launched into willy-nilly), and then realized about three-quarters of the way through that I was going to have an overabundance of words for the project. A myriad. A plethora. An ivy-whorl of tenacious words.

1000 words? 10,000 words? I shared some toast with my husband. "Pillowcase."

We walked upstairs. I shouted down the hall, "Freckle! Piano. Gravity. Grace. Bespectacled."

I have some decisions to make (architecture?) with the first list I made. The process of making the list is really interesting to me. Some of the words I like for the sound, others for meaning, some for both. There are words that have emotional attachments. Some are a part of family vocabularies. A few are inventions. In the meantime, (fern) words keep springing up in my mind (foderol) like midnight mushrumps.

What are some of your favorites?

No comments: